Telugu Desam Party is a provincial political party and its major base is in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh in India. Basically, this party is known as ‘Telugu Land and People’s Party’ and the ideology of this party is based on Socialism, Regionalism and Populism.
Telugu Desam Party was formed in March 1982 by Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao, who was a famous politician and social activist. Telugu Desam Party achieved extensive support among the people of Andhra Pradesh, this party worked towards its commitment to uphold a secular policy and at the same time, viciously protesting against the conspicuous corruption of the Congress Ministry. This TDP was one of the few political parties to come to the power hardly in nine months. It has been a historic presence of Telugu Desam Party when this party formed a first Non-Congress Government in Andhra Pradesh assembly elections in the year of 1983.
Telugu Desam Party was the first provincial party who won 33 seats in the Lok Sabha with the Congress forming the Government and left the BJP behind. After the Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao in the year of 1995, Nara Chandrababu Naidu took over the party. In Andhra Pradesh, Telugu Desam Party established the Government twice in the year from 1983-1989 and another from 1994-2004. The Lok Sabha leader from TDP is Nama Nageswara Rao and the Rajya Sabha leader from TDP is Tulla Devender Goud.
TDP’s Election Symbol
The symbol of Telugu Desam Party is “Bicycle”, which is drawn on a yellow colour of background, the yellow colour characterizes the TDP and yellow is the colour of prosperity, wealth, happiness and brightness. The slogan which shown on the website of TDP is Dare to Dream….Strive to achieve, the election symbol of Bicycler symbolize to walk with deliberation towards overall development and progress of the varied communities of the state.
Some leaders of Telugu Desam Party are listed below :
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu: He is the President of Telugu Desam Party and the leader of the opposition. In 1994, when Telugu Desam Party came into power, Nara Chandrababu Naidu became the Andhra Pradesh’s 13th Chief Minister.
- Nama Nageswara Rao: He is Lok Sabha’s leader and represents Khammam constituency by being a member of 15th Lok Sabha.
- Kavali Pratibha Bharathi, Vice President
- C. M. Ramesh, Vice President
- Mohammad Saleem, Vice President
Achievements of the TDP
The Telugu Desam Party has had a number of momentous achievements like:
- TDP helped farmers to provide the loans on a very nominal rate of interest, cheapest water facilities provided to them and provided electricity in all rural areas.
- TDP provided rice to the families who all are below the poverty line through the National Public Distribution System (NPDS). TDP took a step for women empowerment and provided 50% of reservation in elected and constitutional bodies.
- For Muslim and Christian minority communities TDP provided equal budget so that these communities enjoy the overall political, social and economic development.