Pranab Mukherjee: A Man with uncountable Achievements
Pranab Kumar Mukherjee was the honourable 13thPresident of India. Pranab Mukherjee has been on this post since July 2012. Pranab Mukherjee is the member of the Indian National Congress. Pranab Mukherjee’s Political career is of about 60 years. In the Indian National Congress, Pranab Mukherjee’s is known as the top trouble-shooter in the past few years. Till 2012, before becoming the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Minister of Finance.
Pranab Mukherjee entered into politics when Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India in 1969 and elected in the upper house of Parliament, in Rajya Sabha. Pranab Mukherjee was the most reliable and sincere leader in the cabinet of Indira Gandhi. Pranab Mukherjee was the Minister of Finance from the year 1982 to 1984. Pranab Mukherjee was the leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha from 1980 to 1985. But in the year 1984, when Indira Gandhi was assassinated, Pranab Mukherjee lost his power struggle.
Rajiv Gandhi was appointed as the Prime Minister of India whereas Pranab Mukherjee thought himself among the Prime Ministerial candidates. Pranab Mukherjee formed a new party called the Rashtriya Samajwadi Party, however later he merged with the Indian National Congress in the year 1989.
The early life of Pranab Mukherjee
Pranab Mukherjee was born on December 11th in 1935. Pranab Mukherjee was born in the village Mirati in the Birbhum district of West Bengal to Smt. Raj Lakshmi Mukherjee and Shri KamadaKinkarMukherjee. Pranab Mukherjee’s father was a freedom fighter and became the Indian National Congress’s representative and was also the All India Congress Committee’s member. Pranab Mukherjee’s father was the West Bengal Legislative Council’s member from 1952 to 1964. Pranab Mukherjee was graduated from Suri Vidyasagar college in the West Bengal’s Birbhum district. From the University of Calcutta, Pranab Mukherjee completed M.A in history followed by LLB degree.
Pranab Mukherjee got married to Surva Mukherjee on 13th July 1957. The couple has a daughter and two sons.
Pranab Mukherjee’s life before entering politics
Pranab Mukherjee before entering in the Politics was an upper division clerk in the office of the Deputy Accountant-General (post and Telegraph) in Calcutta. In the year 1963, Pranab Mukherjee served as a teacher in the Vidyasagar college situated at South 24 Parganas. Pranab Mukherjee also served as a journalist in DesherDak (call of the motherland).
Pranab Mukherjee’s entry in Politics
In the year 1969, in the Midnapore by-elections, Pranab Mukherjee actively campaigned for an independent candidate Shri V.K.Krishna Menon. Pranab Mukherjee campaigned very dedicatedly. Smt. Indira Gandhi who was the Prime Minister at that time saw his potential and made Pranab Mukherjee the member of the Indian National Congress. In the July 1969, Pranab Mukherjee was the member of the Rajya Sabha.
Pranab Mukherjee’s Political Journey
- In July 1969, Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Deputy Minister for Shipping and transport from January 1974 to October 1974.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Minister of the state of Finance from October 1974 till December 1975.
- For the second time, Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha in 1975.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Minister of the state for Revenue and banking through independent charge from December 1975 to March 1977.
- Pranab Mukherjee represented the Indian National Congress party as the Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha from 1978 to 1980.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Central Parliamentary Board’s member of the AICC from the year 1978 till 1986.
- He was the Union Minister of Steel and Mines and Commerce from January 1980 to January 1982.
- From the year 1980 to 1985 Pranab Mukherjee was :
o Rajya Sabha’s Leader of the house
o Member of Business Advisory Committee
o The Rajya Sabha member of the Committee on Rules
- For the third time, Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha in August 1981.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Cabinet Minister of Commerce from 1993 to 1995
- In 1993, for the fourth time, Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha.
- He was the Union Cabinet Minister of External Affairs from 1995 to 1996.
- Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the member of the 14th Lok Sabha on 13th May.
- The Visvesvarya Technological University and the Assam University Conferred Pranab Mukherjee with Honours D.Litt. award in March 2012.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the leader of the House of the Lok Sabha from June 2004 to June 2012.
- He was the Union Cabinet Minister of Finance from 2008 to 26th June 2012.
- Chairman of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in May 1994 and in November 1995.
- From 1982 to 1975 and from 2009 to 2012, Pranab Mukherjee was the member of the board of governors of the African Development Bank.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the Union Cabinet Minister of Finance from 2008 to 26 June 2012.
- Pranab Mukherjee resigned from the Indian National Congress party on 25 the June.
- He was the Chairman of the Group of 24 nation in IMF and World Bank in 1984 and from 2011 to 2012.
- Pranab Mukherjee was the member of the board of Governors of the World Bank from 1982 to 1985 and from 2009 to 2012.
- Pranab Mukherjee presided over SAARC, the council of Ministers conference in may 1995, November 1995 and April 2007.
Awards given to Pranab Mukherjee
- By the Euromoney Magazine in 1984, Pranab Mukherjee was rated as the Best Finance Minister.
- Pranab Mukherjee was mentioned as the Finance Minister of the year by The Banker In 2010.
- Pranab Mukherjee was honoured with the Best Parliamentarian Award in the year 1997.
- Pranab Mukherjee in the year 2007 was honoured by the Padma Vibushan by the Government of India, which is the second highest civilian award.
- Pranab Mukherjee was honoured with the Doctor of Letters Degree in 2011.
- Bangladesh awarded Pranab Mukherjee with the second highest award of Bangladesh, The Bangladesh MuktijuddhoSanmanona (Liberation War Award) on March 5th, 2013.
- The University of Mauritius honoured Pranab Mukherjee with Doctor of Civil Law Honoris Causalities on 13th March, 2013.
- The University of Dhaka honoured Pranab Mukherjee with the doctorate of law by Mohammad Zillur Ragman, the President of Bangladesh on the 4th March 2013.
Book written by Pranab Mukherjee
- “Midterm poll” in 1969.
- In the year 1984, “Beyond Survival-Emerging Dimensions of Indian Economy.”
- In the year 1987 “Off the Track”
- “Challenges Before the Nation”
- “Saga of the Struggle and Sacrifice”
Pranab Mukherjee is one of the few personalities in the world who is the jack of all trades. His excellence in governance has shown how much potential he has. Pranab Mukherjee was one of the best presidents of India.