Nitish Kumar: The Man Behind Bihar’s Development
Bihar was India’s one of the poorest and underdeveloped state. Leaders like Nitish Kumar has done their best to develop Bihar. Nitish Kumar‘s endeavour, dedication and leadership skill is changing the face of the state. Nitish Kumar is one of the famous and senior politicians in Indian Politics. Since 2005, Nitish Kumar has been on the chair of Chief Minister of Bihar and is the member of Janata Dal (United) party. Nitish Kumar was also appointed as the Union Minister of India.
Nitish Kumar is the most successful Chief Minister of Bihar because of his hard work and commitment which has been proven in the past many years. In the leadership of Nitish Kumar, Bihar has been developing at a fast pace like development in infrastructure, health facilities have been improving day by day, crime rate and poverty was the biggest issue in Bihar which has been decreased. Nitish Kumar has been a great Political leader and has served in different states at different positions. Nitish Kumar has been always a versatile leader.
The Early life of Nitish Kumar
Nitish Kumar was born on 1st March, 1951, in Bakhtiyarpurabout 50km away from Bihar’s capital city Patna. Nitish Kumar’s father Shri Ram Lakhan Singh, was in the business of Ayurvedic Medicines and his mother Smt. Parmeshwari Devi was a housewife. Nitish Kumar completed his schooling education from Ganesh High School in Bhaktiyarpur. As a student, Nitish Kumar was among very bright and intelligent Students. After completing his schooling, Nitish Kumar was graduated from Bihar college of engineering (now NIT Patna) in degree course of Electrical engineering.
Nitish Kumar was married on 22nd February, 1973 to Smt. Manju Sinha who was a teacher by profession. But unfortunately, Smt. Manju Sinha died at the age of 53 in the year 2007. Nitish Kumar has a son Nishant who is graduated from BIT Mesra.
Political entry and background of Nitish Kumar
Before joining the politics, Nitish Kumar was working in the Bihar State Electricity Board. In his early life, Nitish Kumar’s father Shri Ram Lakhan Singh was the member of the Indian National Congress and followed the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi. Nitish Kumar belongs to the class of Socialist politician. Nitish Kumar was influenced by some of the famous Political personalities like Jayprakash Narayan, Ram Manohar Lohia, S.N Sinha, V.P Singh, and Karpuri Thakur and that is why he joined the Janata Dal party. Nitish Kumar became the most evolving politician when he participated in the movement of Jayprakash Narayan between the year 1974 and 1977.
Nitish Kumar as a Union Minister
Nitish Kumar as a Union Minister served in the Government of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1998-99 for Railways and Minister of Surface Transport but later resigned because of Gaisal train disaster. However, later he became the Agriculture Minister from 2001 to 2004. As a Railway Minister, Nitish Kumar launched many new schemes and plans like booking online railway ticket, for instant tickets, booking tatkal schedule was launched and many more.
Nitish Kumar as Chief Minister of Bihar
Nitish Kumar has changed the entire scenario of the Bihar state. He developed new infrastructure projects, new health programmes, initiated meal, and bicycle programs. The meal was provided to the children who were studying in the school and bicycle was given to the girls which resulted in a huge drop in school dropout rates.
The Political journey of Nitish Kumar
- As the member of Janata party, Nitish Kumar contested for the first time in assembly elections in 1977.
- In 1987 to 1988, Nitish Kumar became the President of the Lok Dal in the state of Bihar.
- Nitish Kumar became the Secretary General of Janata Dal in Bihar in the year 1989.
- Nitish Kumar was elected as the member of 9th Lok Sabha for the first time in 1989.
- Nitish Kumar was the Union Minister of Bihar, to look after Agriculture and Cooperation from April 1990 to November 1990.
- Nitish Kumar became the Deputy Leader and general secretary of the Janta Dal in the Parliament from 1991 to 1993.
- Nitish Kumar was the member of the Committee in the Railways from December 1991 to May 1996.
- For the 3rd time in 1996, Nitish Kumar was the member of the Parliament in the 11th Lok Sabha.
- He was the Union Cabinet Minister for Railways from March 19, 1998 to August 5, 1999.
- Nitish Kumar became the Chief Minister of Bihar but only for seven days from 3rd March 2000 to 10th March 2000.
- From 2001 till 2004 he was the Union Cabinet Minister for Railways.
- Nitish Kumar was elected as the Chief Minister of Bihar in 2005.
- In 2010 for the second time, Nitish Kumar served as the Chief Minister of Bihar.
- Nitish Kumar was appointed as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the third time on 22nd February, 2015.
Achievement and awards of Nitish Kumar
- Nitish Kumar launched the Jankari Scheme which is also the electric version of RTI act which was launched in Bihar.
- Crime rates reduce drastically and launched many more infrastructure development projects like building roads and bridges was done under his Government.
- In the Government of Nitish Kumar, the criminal prosecution was held through Fast track courts.
- More than one lakh teaching staff was appointed by Nitish Kumar in the schools of Bihar.
- For farmers, various nationalized banks were involved in different loan schemes.
- The state of Bihar recorded the second highest GSDP growth rate in India.
- Many industrial jobs were created as the average economy rate improved in Bihar under Nitish Kumar’s Government.
- Nitish Kumar’s endeavor was paid off when Bihar State witnessed the rate of poverty reduction and was second highest.
- Better Implementation of welfare schemes was seen under the leadership of Nitish Kumar in Bihar.
- In 2007, Nitish Kumar was recognized as the best Chief Minister by CNN-IBN and Hindustan Times.
- In 2009, The Economic Times recognized Nitish Kumar as the Business Reformer of the year.
- Nitish Kumar was awarded the Indian of the year in Politics in 2009 by NDTV
- Forbes declared Nitish Kumar as India’s person of the year in 2010.
- Foreign Policy Magazine ranked Nitish Kumar 77 in the list of top 100 global thinkers.
- Nitish Kumar was awarded the JP Memorial Award in 2013, by Manav Mandir of Nagpur.
Nitish Kumar is one of the evolving politicians in India. With his hardworking and intelligent strategies, Bihar is developing into a new state.