Mamta Banerjee is the well-known name in India and especially for the people of West Bengal. People of West Bengal also call her ‘Didi’ which means elder sister. Since 2011, Mamta Banerjee is the 8th Chief Minister of West Bengal.
Mamta Banerjee was born on 6th January in the year of 1955. Mamta Banerjee was born in Kolkata to Gayetri Devi and Promileshwar Banerjee in a Brahmin family.Mamta Banerjee completed her schooling education from Deshbandhu Sishu Shikshalay. She did her graduation in honours degree in history from Jogamaya Devi College. After graduation Mamta Banerjee did her master’s degree in Islamic history from the university of Calcutta.Mamta Banerjee also did law from Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College. From Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Mamta Banerjee was honoured with Doctor of Letters. Other than a politician, Mamta Banerjee also has interest in painting. Mamta Banerjee ‘s 300 paintings were sold for worth 9 crores.
Mamta Banerjee’s political career
Mamta Banerjee inaugurated Chhatra Parishad Union, it was an Indian National Congress party’s wing. Mamta Banerjee continued to work for Congress (I). The major breakthrough came in between 1976 to 1980 when Mamta Banerjee was appointed as the General Secretary of Congress.
- In Indian general elections,1984, Mamta Banerjee was elected as the youngest Parliamentary member. In the Indian Youth Congress, Mamta Banerjee was appointed as the General Secretary. Mamta Banerjee was emerging as a strong political leaders from Eastern part of the country (West Bengal). However,in the Indian general election,1989, Congress was on a weaker side that resulted Mamta Banerjee loosing. But in elections of 1996,1998,1999,2004 and 2009, Mamta Banerjee was elected in every election and won from south Kolkata constituency.
In the 10th Lok Sabha, when P.V Narasimha Rao became the Prime Minister of India, Mamta Banerjee became the Union Minister of the state for Youth Affairs and Sports, Human Resource And Development, and Women and Child Development.
- In the year 1997, Mamta Banerjee made her own party the All India Trinamool Congress by resigning from the Indian National Congress. Mamta Banerjee dragged out a Samajwadi Party’s MP Daroga Prasad Saroj from the Lok Sabha because he was protesting against the Women’s Reservation Bill on 11th December, 1998. In the year 1999, Mamta Banerjee joined National Democratic Alliance led by Bharatiya Janata Party,Mamta Banerjee was appointed as the Railway Minister when government of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was formed. When Mamta Banerjee was Railway Minister, she introduced many trains like New Delhi -SealdahRajdhani Express,Sealdah-New Jalpaiguri Express, Aranyak Express and many Super fast trains.Mamta Banerjee also focused in showcasing and development of Tourism of West Bengal such as Darjeeling.
- Mamta Banerjee left NDA and Joined Congress Party in 2001 for West Bengal elections, though Mamta Banerjee returned to the NDA alliance in 2004. In Indian general election, 2004, Mamta Banerjee won Parliamentary seat from West Bengal. In the Indian general election, 2009, Mamta joined Alliance in NDA led by Congressin which Mamta Banerjee’s part Trinamool Congress performed well with winning 19 seats and NDA also performed well, thus forming the government and was appointed as the Railway Minister in the cabinet for the second time. As Railway Minister in the second tenure,she introduced many trains for West Bengal like non stop Duronto Express. In 2011, Mamta Banerjee became the Chief Minister of West Bengal by winning 184 seats in the West Bengal Legislative assembly elections. In these elections, All India Trinamool Congress had alliance with SUI and Indian National Congress .
- Mamta Banerjee became the Chief Minister of West Bengal for the second time by winning the West Bengal Legislative assembly elections in 2016 and securing two third majority with 211 seats out of 293 seats.
India was represented by Mamta Banerjee in the U.N. General Assembly
- In Russia’s World Women Round Table Conference, Mamta Banerjee represented our nation as a woman parliamentarian.
- Mamta Banerjee attended the Kuala Lumpur’s Working Women Conference of ICFTU and ILO.
- She also attended World Youth Conference in Vietnam as an India’s representative.
- Mamta Banerjee got the credit for taking first step to solve the Gorkhaland problem.
Mamta Banerjee has won several awards. In 2012, Mamta Banerjee was ranked among the ‘100 Most Influential People In The World’ by the Time Magazine. In September, 2012, she was ranked among the ’50 Most Influential People In The World of Finance’ by the Bloomberg Markets Magazine.
Mamta Banerjee has been one of the most famous political leaders over the years with her hard work.
Activities and Achievements of Mamata Banerjee
Mamata Banerjee successfully formed a new party after her separation from the Congress in year 1997. Her new party known as All India Trinamool Congress (AITC), subsequently, became the primary opposition party in West Bengal led by the CPI(M).
In the year 2002, after becoming the Minister of Railways, she gave introduction to new trains, made extension to services of few express trains, increased frequency of some trains aiming at development of tourism and also proposed the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
She protested against the problems faced by farmers in case of land acquisition forcefully as well as for the agriculturists for industrialization in West Bengal on October 20th, 2005.
She gave introduction to several non-stop Duronto Express trains that connected major cities, other passenger trains and special trains for ladies during her second term as Minister of Railways from May31st ,2009 – JULY 19th,2011.