Lalu Prasad Yadav : Wordsmith of Indian Politics
Lalu Prasad Yadav is a well-known Indian politician who belongs to Rashtriya Janata Dal (Political Party).After become separated from Janata Dal because of Fodder scam’s issue, Lalu Prasad Yadav founded this political party in 1997. Lalu Prasad Yadav became the first president of Rashtriya Janata Dal and is still the President of it. He was having eminent posts both in the state legislative assembly and in the parliament.
Under the UPA (Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government), Lalu Prasad Yadav was the Railway Minister from 2004 to 2009. He held the post of Bihar’s Chief Minister from 1990 to 1997. He was found guilty in 1996 for Fodder Scam. So in 15th Lok Sabha when Lalu Prasad Yadav elected as an MP (Member of Parliament) from Bihar’s Saran constituency, he was disqualified from his post. He was also sentenced with a huge fine of Rs.25 lakh and a strict imprisonment of five years. In the issue of Fodder scam, six cases were registered against Lalu Prasad Yadav. He appealed in Supreme Court of India for bail. Thus, on 13th December, 2013, he got bail.
Lalu Prasad Yadav was born in Bihar’s Gopalganj district, in Phulwaria on 11th June, 1948. Lalu Prasad Yadav is the second child of Shri Kundan Rai and Smt. Marachhiya Devi. He was from a poor family of peasant. He got his primary education at Bihar Military Police No. 5’s school. After studying there till 7th standard, he shifted to Patna with his elder brother. In Law, he got his Bachelors Degree and in Political Science, he done his Masters degree from Patna University. In Patna’s Bihar Veterinary College, he was appointed as a clerk.
Lalu Prasad Yadav got married to Rabri Devi on 1st June, 1973. They have two sons and seven daughters. Bharti, Misha, Rajlakshmi, Rohini, Hema, Dhannu and Chanda are their daughters and Tejasvi and TejPratap are their sons. Because of Lalu Prasad Yadav’s involvement in Fodder scam, in 1997, he resigned from the post of Bihar’s Chief Minister. Then, his wife, Rabri Devi became the Bihar’s Chief Minister and with some interventions, served this post till 2005.
Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Entry in Politics
Lalu Prasad Yadav first participated in the Union Elections of Patna University. By this step, he got the membership of Janata Party and contested to become the 6th Lok Sabha’s member in 1977. At the age of 29, Lalu Prasad Yadav became the member of Parliament.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav won the elections of Lok Sabha in 1977. He became Parliament’s member from Chhapra.
- As the member of Bihar’s Legislative Assembly, Lalu Prasad Yadav served two consecutive terms from 1980 to 1989.
- In 1980, Lalu Prasad Yadav was:
- Opposition’s Leader in Bihar’s Legislative Assembly.
- Public Undertakings Committee’s Convener.
- Pustakalaya Committee’s Chairman.
- In the 9th Lok Sabha, Lalu Prasad Yadav elected for the second term.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav was Bihar’s Legislative Council member from 1990 to 1995.
- He was the Bihar’s Chief Minister from 1990 to 1997.
- He was the member of Bihar’s Legislative Assembly from 1995 to 1998.
- Fodder scam in which Lalu Prasad Yadav was involved, revealed in 1966.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav separated himself from Janata Dal and formed Rashtriya Janata Dal in 1997.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected as the 12th Lok Sabha’s Member for the third time.
- From 1998 to 1999, Lalu Prasad Yadav was the member of Home Affairs’ Committee, General Purpose’s Committee and Ministry of Information and Broadcasting’s Consultative Committee.
- He became the Cabinet Minister in the Ministry of Railway in 2004. Party of Lalu Prasad Yadav played a role of key member of UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government.
- As the 15th Lok Sabha’s member, Lalu Prasad Yadav was re-elected for the fifth term in 2009.
- When he was convicted in 2013 for the involvement in Fodder Scam, he was barred for six years from contesting elections.
- In the elections of Bihar’s assembly in 2015, Lalu Prasad Yadav’s RJD and Nitish Kumar’s JD(U) got the mandate from the voters of Bihar to the alliance.
Charges of Corruption Against Lalu Prasad Yadav
- In 1966, Lalu Prasad Yadav was accused of his involvement in the Fodder scam. In this scam, big amount of money was siphoned off from Animal Husbandry Department.
- For the Fodder scam, Lalu Prasad Yadav and 44 other people including IAS Officers and politicians were convicted by CBI court.
- A fine of Rs.25 Lakh and a strict punishment of 5 years was given to Lalu Prasad Yadav as he was involved in Fodder scam.
- In 2013, on 16th December, he came out from jail.
- A case of disproportionate assets was also filed in 1998 against Lalu Prasad Yadav and his wife, Rabri Devi.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav called L.K. Advani an “international absconder” because he accused L.K. Advani for conspiring Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s death.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav had to face a lot of criticism when in Bihar elections of 2005, he used almost Osama bin Laden’s look-alike to campaigning and to get Muslim votes.
Lalu Prasad Yadav is a popular politician and has excellent oratoricalskills. He has also supported the casteism in Politics for which he was criticised a lot.