L.K. Advani: The Man Of Values
In Indian politics, L.K.Advani (Lal Krishna Advani) is considered as among the senior most political leaders. L.k.Advani is a member of BJP ( Bhartiya Janata Party). L.K.Advani has remained the opposition leader in 10th and 14th Lok Sabha. Being an eminent figure and a senior leader, L.K.Advani has played major roles as a member of ruling party and also large opposition party’s member in the Lok Sabha. Under Atal Bihari Vajpayee Prime Ministership, in the period of BJP(Bharatiya Janata Party) – led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government from 1998 to 2004, L.K.Advani was the Home Minister and later served as Deputy Prime Minister. Veteran leader L.K.Advani has worked as a sewak or volunteer of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a right-wing Hindu nationalist organization.
Early life and Family of L.K. Advani
Lal Krishna Advani was born to Shri Kishinchand Advani and Gyanidevi in Karachi (which is now in Pakistan) on 8th November 1927. Lal Krishna Advani belonged to the family of Sindhi Hindus’sAmil branch. That time Amils were traditionally considered as revenue officials who used to help or serve the Muslim King’s Munshis. Amils were the very renowned community in Sindh. This community used to dominate professions in that area and government jobs.
The grandfather of Lal Krishna Advani, Shri DharamdasKhubchand Advani was a government high school’s principal and a Sanskrit’s scholar. Father of Lal Krishna Advani was a businessman. In 1942, Lal Krishna Advani completed his schooling from St. Patrick’s High School for Boys, a very renowned school of Karachi. L.K.Advani was a good student. After schooling, he took admission in DayaramGidumal National College, Hyderabad (which is now in Pakistan). At that time, Quit India Movement was very active. Lal Krishna Advani has also done a graduation in Law from a government law college of Mumbai University. L.K.Advani and his family also faced partition and migrated to Independent India. Later in 1965 in 25th February, he got married to Kamalaji. She was also migrated from Karachi at the time of partition. Kamalaji used to work as a worker of social welfare and also worked in Post office. This Couple has two children, a son Jayant and a daughter Pratibha. Jayant is a businessman whereas Pratibha is one of the most popular personalities on television.
Professional Life of Lal Krishna Advani
After matriculation, Lal Krishna Advani moved to Hyderabad when he was just 14 because his father shifted from Karachi to Hyderabad. L.K.Advani was fond of tennis, he used to play it a lot. MurliMukhi was one of his partners and was the volunteer of RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh). Het told Lal Krishna Advani about RSS. L.K.Advani was very inspired by the discipline, training, patriotism and ideology of RSS and became one of the sewak of Sangh.
Lal Krishna Advani was appointed as a teacher of science, history, English and mathematics Karachi’s Model High School when he was just seventeen.
In RSS, it is mandatory to undergo training for a sewak to hold any responsibility of the Sangh further. When L.K.Advani joined RSS, after one year he went for Officers’ Training Camp in Indore as per the rules of Sangh. After that, he was also sent to Ahmedabad and Nagpur for training.
Lal Krishna Advani became the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh’s Secretary in 1947, in Karachi.
Lal Krishna Advani’s Political Journey
Some of the moments of L.K. Advani’s political journey are discussed below.
- L.K. Advani was the leader of Bhartiya Jan Sangh from 1966 to 1967 which was founded by Shri Shyama Prasad Mookerjee.
- He became the Rajya Sabha’s member from Delhi, from 1970 to 1976.
- Lal Krishna Advani was elected as Bhartiya Jana Sangh’s President in 1973.
- When Janata party won the elections of Lok Sabha in 1977, then Lal Krishna Advani became the Information and Broadcasting’s Minister.
- In 1980, Lal Krishna Advani became the Bhartiya Janata Party’s, General Secretary.
- L.K. Advani became the President of Bhartiya Janata Party in 1986.
- In the duration of 1989 to 1991, L.K.Advani was the leader of Parliamentary Party in Lok Sabha of Bhartiya Janata Party.
- Lal Krishna Advani was the leader of Opposition from 1991 to 1993.
- L.K. Advani also became the Union Cabinet Minister of Home Affairs from 1998 to 1999.
- He was the Deputy Prime Minister from 29 June 2002 to May 2004.
- In 2009, Lal Krishna Advani became the member of Home Affairs Committee.
- All were surprised when on 10th June 2013, Lal Krishna Advani resigned from posts which were held by him.
- He expressed his feelings by saying that He does not think that Bhartiya Janata Party has the same ideology when it was founded by Shyama Prasad Mookerjee, Nanaji Deshmukh, Deendayal Upadhyaya and Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- After the assurance and intervention from Rajnath Singh, a senior leader, L.K.Advani withdrew the resignation.
Some of the Rath Yatras done by L.K.Advani
· Ram Rath Yatra: Lal Krishna Advani started his first Rath Yatra on 25th September 1990 from Somnath (in Gujarat) to Ayodhya, where he reached on 30th October 1990. This Yatra was done for the link of Ram Janmabhoomi – Babri Masjid and was focusing on communalism and secularism.
· Swarna Jayanti Rath Yatra: In this Rath Yatra, Lal Krishna Advani travelled covering India in 1997. This RathYatra was conducted for the celebration of Independence’s 50 years.
· Jan Chetna Yatra: L.K.Advani launched this Rath Yatra on 11th October 2011 from SitabDiara in Bihar. It was conducted to deploy the opinion of the public again the UPA government’s corruption.
Lal Krishna Advani was awarded by Indian Parliamentary Group in 1999 with Outstanding Parliamentarian Award.
Being a senior leader, L.K.Advani has guided many political leaders with the right guidance. His Rath Yatras played an important role in spreading awareness among people. Lal Krishna Advani has used his vast experience for the betterment of Indian Politics and will always be an idol for all political leaders.