The governor plays and important role in the state of India. The Governor is the State’s head exactly as the President in India. Role of the governor in the state is that in the name of Governor, all the decision in the state are taken. However, the major decisions are only taken by the Chief Minister of the state. A same person can be the governor of two or more states according to an amendment in the Indian Constitution of India brought in 1956. The role of the governor in the state is equivalent to the Lieutenant Governor in Union Territories like in Delhi and Andaman and Nicobar Union Territory.
Powers of the Governor
The power of the Governor is to protect and preserve and defend the laws of the Indian Constitution Article 9 and Article 15. The Governor of India has following types of powers.
The Governor’s Executive powers
- The role of the governor is to appoint Chief Minister, council of ministers of the state, State Public Service Commission and the Advocate General.
- The duties of the Governor is to appoint Judges of State High Court along with President.
- The District Court Judges are also appointed by the Governor
- Role of the governor is to nominate one member of the Anglo-Indian community in the Legislative Assembly of the state if he feels that the Anglo-Indian community has not been represented properly in the Vidhan Sabha.
- The duty of the Governor is to nominate those members ,who have commendable and special knowledge or experience in art, science, literature, co-operative movements and social services to the all state’s Legislative Council. where the bicameral legislature is present.
The Legislative power of the Governor
- The power of the Governor is that he/she has can address and send messages, summoning, deferring and dissolving the state Legislature same as the President became the part of the State Legislature.
- The State Legislature and the first session every year is inaugurated by the Governor.
- State Finance Commission is represented by the Governor. The power of the Governor is to make advances out for funds for the state.
- The bill passed by the state Legislature can only necessary law after the Governor gives assent. The Governor return back the bill to the state legislature, if it’s not a ‘money bill.’ The state legislature sends the bill second time and the Governor has to assent on it.
- According to the Constitution of India, Article 165 and Article 177, the Governor ask for the proceedings of both the houses of the state legislature from the Advocate General.
Judicial powers of the Governor
- Function of the Governor includes granting reprieves, respites, pardon or remission of punishments. Governor can also suspend or forgive any punishments given to any person commits crime.
- The President of India consults the Governor for the Chief Justice in the particular state’s High court.
- The role of the Governor is to inform the President of India in an Official report of a particular emergency arisen the Indian state in case. On the behalf of the President ,the Governor also imposes President Rule, In such case Governor override the functions of the council of ministers.
- The Governor holds the power to appoint the Chief Minister in case, if political party fails get Majority in the Vidhan Sabha.
Eligibility of the governor
For the particular state governor is appointed as per the Constitution of India Article 157 and Article 158 by the following criteria.
- He /she must be the citizen of India to be eligible for the Governor
- The minimum age for the governor is 35 years
- For the governor eligibility he/she should not hold any other office or profitable organisation
- He/she should not be a member of the house of the state legislature and the house of the Parliament.
Salary of the Governor
In the Governor’s Act of 1982 ( Allowance , Privileges and Emoluments) the specified monthly Governor’s salary is Rs. 1,10,000. During the Governor’s term for 5 years in the office ,the Governor is entitled for certain allowance and benefits.
Facilities provided to the Governor
Apart from the monthly Governor’s salary ,the Governor is provided with special facilities such as residential facilities in which the Governor is given the house with without any rent. Medical facilities is also provided to the Governor and his family members for life time. Traveling allowance is provided to the Governor in which the Governor can travel across the country but in fixed amount. The Governor is entitled to phone and electricity bill reimbursement and many other facilities also.
Governor’s selection process
The Governor’s selection process is just like the election of Chief Minister, Prime Minister and the President in direct or indirect ways. For 5 years, the Governor is appointed by the President of India. The Governor has to clear eligibility criteria as per the Constitution of India Article 157 and Article 158.
The Governor’s Duty Term
The Governor’s official term is for five year according to the Constitution of India. The office term period for 5 years can be terminated if :
- The Governor term in office can be terminated by the President of India by whom the Governor is elected , however the propound for termination is given by the Prime Minister of India to the President if the Governor is involved in any criminal offence committed against the law, in any corruption or in any matter of bribery act.
- For the Governor, there is no retirement age because the Governor stay for fixed duration of the period. There is no possibility to challenge the Governor in the office unlike the President of India.
Pension provided to the Governor
According to the Constitution of India, the Governor is entitled for certain amount of pension. A bill was initiated for the hike in pension in 2013. Apart from the pension, various alliance are also provided to the Governor such as medical for life time.
Residential facilities provided to the Governor
The Governor is provided the Raj Bhavan just like the President is provided the Rastrapati Bhawan in New Delhi. Every state has its own Raj Bhavan. The Raj Bhavan is allotted to the Governor and his/her family till the official period of five years, since the Governor is the nominal head of the state of India.
Some facts about the Governors of India
- Sarojini Naidu was the first women Governor in state of India.
- Sarojini Naidu was also the longest serving Governor in the single state in West Bengal.
- A.K Kidwai is the longest serving Governor in various state such as West Bengal ,Bihar and Haryana.
- The first women Governor in the state Jharkhand of India was Draupadi Murmu.
The Governor’s list of India
|S.no.||Name of State||Name of Governor|
|1||Andhra Pradesh||Shri E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan|
|2||Arunachal Pradesh||Brigadier BD Mishra (Retd)|
|4||Bihar||Satya Pal Malik|
|5||Chhattisgarh||Shri Balramji Dass Tandon|
|6||Goa||Smt. Mridula Sinha|
|7||Gujarat||Shri Om Prakash Kohli|
|8||Haryana||Prof. Kaptan Singh Solanki|
|9||Himachal Pradesh||Shri Acharya Dev Vrat|
|10||Jammu and Kashmir||Shri N. N. Vohra|
|11||Jharkhand||Shrimati Droupadi Murmu|
|12||Karnataka||Shri Vajubhai Vala|
|13||Kerala||Shri Justice (Retd.) Palaniswamy Sathasivam|
|14||Madhya Pradesh||Shri Om Prakash Kohli|
|15||Maharashtra||Shri Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao|
|16||Manipur||Dr. Najma A. Heptulla|
|19||Nagaland||Shri Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya|
|21||Punjab||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore|
|22||Rajasthan||Shri Kalyan Singh|
|23||Sikkim||Shri Shriniwas Dadasaheb Patil|
|24||Tamil Nadu||Banwarilal Purohit|
|25||Telangana||Shri E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan (Add. Charge)|
|26||Tripura||Shri Tathagata Roy|
|27||Uttar Pradesh||Shri Ram Naik|
|28||Uttarakhand||Dr. Krishan Kant Paul|
|29||West Bengal||Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi|